Calling all costumers and cosplayers!
Do you have a costume related to Myst, Obduction, or any other Cyan property? Then this is the page for you! For our virtual Mysterium, we’re putting together our own version of the Pass The Brush Challenge videos that have been circulating. You don’t need to have an overly complex or fancy costume. This is all about having fun and showing off your creativity.
For an example of the sort of thing we’re aiming for, take a look at these videos:
We plan to do something like you see in those examples, except instead of passing a brush or dice, we’ll be passing books. It seemed most appropriate for a Myst convention. If you’re interested, read on for the rules and other information.
- All submissions must abide by our submissions policy
- All submissions must be family friendly
- All submissions must be received no later than July 12th, 2020
- Video must be recorded in portrait (tall). Videos recorded in landscape (wide) will be rejected
- Videos should be unedited and in one of these file formats: .mp4, .mov, .avi
- Videos must not be shared publicly until after we share the final edit
- Up to two costumes may be shown per person
- Up to 20 seconds of video may be submitted per person
- Videos must follow the instructions described below
Your video(s) should take the following format:
- A book drops from above you, as though it is falling from out of frame
- You can catch it, have it fall on your lap, or whatever else you like
- You should be in casual clothing at this point
- Pick up the book and open it to the first blank page or the blank inside cover
- Walk toward the camera with the blank page facing the camera
- Hold the book so that the blank page is as close to the camera as possible
- Off-camera, change into your costume
- In costume, start with the same page held up close to the camera
- Pull the book away from the camera and show off your awesome costume!
- Drop the book, ensuring that it falls out of the bottom of the camera’s view
- We don’t want to see it hitting the floor. It should fall out of view. This is very important
If you wish to show off two costumes, you can repeat the step of walking the blank page toward the camera to transition from the first costume to the second costume, and then drop it after that from the second costume.
You should upload your video to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, or another private file host from which you can share the uncompressed/unedited video files. Then, email a link to the files to email@example.com. Be sure to include the name you want listed on screen, the name of your costume/character, and a link to your website (if desired).
Feel free to submit the casual and costumed parts as two separate videos. We’ll handle editing them together.
DO NOT upload the videos to Youtube or Facebook or any other video sharing site as a means of submitting them to us, as those sites will compress the video. We need the original video files.
That’s it! Don’t stress over this too much. It’s not a competition – it’s all in good fun!